Tuesday, April 21, 2009

On the next episode...

So today, Lindsey and I went to bluehost's offices in Provo for interviews. For me, this was my third interview with the company. For Lindsey, her first. To relieve some curiousity, Lindsey totally nailed hers and starts training tomorrow. Everyone follow this with their best Yeet and Boit, "Yay! Yay! Yay! Yay!"

And in my story, the day started off with me feeling very sick, first with sinus congestion. I took some extra-strength Tylenol Cold & Sinus, which alleviated the pain of congestion quickly. But soon I felt sick from being so anxious, so nervous for the in-person interview. And for this, I took a quarter of a bar of Xanax. The side-effects of this benzo range from dizziness, drowsiness and temporary short-term memory loss (amnesia). I, having an established history of opposite-of-tepid reactions to stronger drugs, knew the risks, but proceeded with the benefits in mind. And of course, I soon felt dizzy, drowsy and was struggling with remembering some information. Despite this, I was feeling GOOD.

The story gets somewhat foggy from here: I think I performed at my best in the interview, despite the effects of my drug-cocktail. Even better, I was nothing of the nervous wreck that I usually am in such a meeting. But despite my performing at my best, my interviewer's synopsis was that I met the minimum qualifications and was obviously book smart about the material but lacked examples of practical application (like, having ever actually built a website or set-up a stand-alone client email account). He continued with, "Your chances of being accepted into one of the five slots open for upcoming training depends entirely on how more or less qualified the other applicants are."

So there it is. At the end of the interview, I asked him what I could do in the mean time to improve my practical application/demonstrable knowledge, and he responded with the opportunity to build a website and, if completed soon enough, forward said site for his review. The task is daunting, considering the stressful hours of research I've already put into applying for this position, but I want and need this job. So here I go.

A more happy mention: after the interview I went home and had a four-hour (drug-induced) nap (coma). It was nice.

In conclusion, EVERYONE PLEASE CONGRATULATE LINDSEY ON PERFORMING SO WELL IN HER INTERVIEW AND GETTING HER JOB. I'm very proud of her. She really needed it, and now she really needs everyone's congratulations for sticking with it and asserting herself properly. (And you can thank Michael for being such a great brother to us both!)
 

2 comments:

Emily said...

I'm sorry it didn't go as planned for you Amy. You can build a website for me if your still looking to do so!

Winnow D. Asael said...

Good news that Lindsey got the job! Sounds like this job is pretty technical! They wouldn't hire me, I can tell you that. Good for you for diligently studying and continuing to learn. You'll get there.. Hang on!