Monday, April 6, 2009

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy

Today I am waiting for a phone interview, kindly arranged by Mike. It is for a tech support position at Mike's place of work. I've been researching all morning, so now I've decided to take a break and update my blog. All I can think to post is port numbers, email clients, protocols . . . very terrifying information. I keep reading, because if I do not understand what it is I am reading, I can at least memorize key terms for eventual comprehension. My biggest hang-up in learning all things Internet and computer related is that there aren't enough visuals in tutorials and articles. And the few visuals there are seem lacking. I'm one of those who makes shapes and directions of abstract conceptual information. When reading about the Internet architecture, the pathway of information of the Internet layer, I imagine a point-tipped finial. The finial is a loop, each end a diminishing point, it's middle bulbous. A user passes a packet of information at the hardware level which is expanded at each layer of its journey, to the center of its pathway: the I-really-don't-understand-this-part TCP(or UDP)/IP layer. From the center, the packet is disassembled, untagged and routed to its eventual, simple destination, the processes and applications layer. I don't understand the security levels, or the mechanism, or the number of layers and where they are (there's so much changing of direction in these descriptions I've been reading). I definitely blew my mind attempting a base-16 counting table when trying to understand checksums, CRC and hash values. What? Yesterday, I imagined the pathway as a balloon. The shape changes with information. I desperately need some pictures. What is up with that? Have I read too many children's books? Why doesn't my brain work like Michael's?

Anyway, though I've never touched any other email client besides gmail, yahoo and UVU's student mail, I believe I'm prepared to assist in setting up email accounts in any client. At least, the process seems to be the same every time: Find add email account in tools or preferences menu, name account and specify what type (POP or IMAP), enter username and password (login@mydomain.ext and pass) for POP/IMAP and SMTP server, specify mail.mydomain.ext server for incoming (POP/IMAP) and outgoing (SMTP) mail, and last, select authentication for outgoing server. Some clients' setup is slightly different, but overall, the process is simple from what I understand. I'm interested to learn exactly what problems people have along the way. What possibly can go wrong? Well, a lot -- but not often, right?

No comments: